Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Old Skool Lunch

So I'm at home, it's lunchtime and I'm wondering what to eat. I decided to go the healthy route and not buy takeout, although I was thisclose to buying some yummy chicken bryiani from Sixth Ave. Good thing the parking there is such a pain in the ass, otherwise I would've totally caved. I do enjoy the briyani from one of the stalls there, and it has been a while since I last had it. Mmm... briyani... drool... Luckily for me laziness prevailed and I headed home empty-handed. But then what to eat? For once the fridge in my house is not overflowing with leftovers (I have issues, everything I cook always seems to be enough to feed an army, instead of just me and my family). I could have instant noodles, but that would have defeated the purpose of me trying to be healthy. A poke around the pantry later, I decided to make an old skool tuna melt. I love me a good, cheesy tuna melt. I can still remember the time I had a really good tuna melt, it was at my friend's place back in my uni days, and he was the one who put on the sun-dried tomatoes before plonking on the cheese and ooh, it made all the difference. Plus, all I needed were some pantry staples, and there's practically no wash-up. Easy peasy!So simple, yet so satisfying.

Old Skool Tuna Melt
Ingredients:
1 can tuna
1 onion, chopped
mayonnaise, to taste
pickles, or sweet relish, which is what I used cos I didn't have pickles
a couple of sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips or chopped
cheese (I used mozzarella cos that's all I had)
bread

Directions:
Mix together the tuna, onions, mayo and relish/pickles. Pile the tuna mix onto your bread, then top with sun-dried tomatoes. Sprinkle cheese over everything, pop into the toaster oven until cheese is melted and Bob's your uncle.

No comments: