Tuesday, August 19, 2008

UBC Ponderosa Cake

It's been some time since I graduated from UBC... and boy do I miss my uni life. I made some of the most awesome friends, I had tons of fun, I really loved it in Vancouver, and all in all it was definitely an experience that I'm really happy to have had. I lived on campus for three out of my four years in UBC, the first two of which involved consuming a fair amount of cafeteria food. All's I can say is, they had a great sandwich bar, and they had good desserts. I loved their gigantic rice krispie treats, and the chocolate chip cookies. And I used to get my cousin the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, which he adored. And then there was this banana cake, which I would get sometimes, but one of my best friends really loved it and used to get it all the time. He'd take it back with him to his room for a sugar boost during his marathon work/study sessions (he was in engineering so he kept insane hours). So when I chanced upon this recipe, I had to try it. Of course it didn't hurt that I'd just been given 2 overripe bananas that I needed to use pronto. I think the cake turned out pretty good, really moist and not too sweet. Yumms!

UBC Ponderosa Cake
Ingredients:
113g butter
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla
¾ cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
1
½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup sour cream
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup brown sugar
¾ cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, then vanilla and bananas. Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to the batter.
4. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, then sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar mixture and half the chocolate chips on top. Top with remaining batter, and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar and chocolate chips. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Chocolatey-cinnamony-banana goodness.

No comments: