Thursday, August 21, 2008

Doggone It!

I've been trying out some recipes for doggy treats for some time now, but somehow I never got around to writing about it. But anyhoo... I got to thinking that since I'm such a big fan of chocolate chip cookies, and am always on the hunt for the best recipe, why not extend the search to include chocolate chip cookies for my canine companions? My boy's aunt owns a pet shop which stocks a huge range of pet supplies, and I found this sack of carob treats amidst doggy sashimi and doggy bacon strips. I've been looking for carob for a while now, so I was pretty happy I found these.Choc Drops for dogs. It's supposedly enriched with vitamins too! All in a convenient resealable bag. Reese my Jack Russell is wondering why I am invading his bed space.

Next stop: the Chocolick Dog Treats website. They had a recipe for Chocolick Dog Cookies, which turned out to be peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Sounded pretty good to me, so I gave it a go. Appearance-wise, they turned out like normal cookies, with a somewhat softer texture like a chewy cookie, rather than those crisp and crunchy ones. Taste-wise, Reese really liked these, although he is a bit of a greedy pooch. I think the only time he turned down a treat was when I made the doggy ginger snaps. For some reason he sniffed those and decided he wasn't going to like 'em.
I think these look pretty damn good.This is about the only time I get Reese's undivided attention: when I have food.This is Reese sitting at my feet, sending me subliminal messages to give him more cookies.

Chocolick Dog Cookies
Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1½ cups Chocolick chips
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk
2 eggs
¼ cup honey

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
2. Combine the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the peanut butter, milk, eggs and honey. Mix well.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. After the batter has come together, fold in the choc chips.
4. Drop cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes, depending on how big you've made your cookies. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments: