Thursday, August 21, 2008

On Top of Spaghetti...

It's been a while since I had some good ol' fashioned spaghetti and meatballs... the last time I had it, it was of the swanky variety at The White Rabbit, which is a beautiful place, and I'm not just saying that cos the owners are my friends. I also happen to like the food there, despite having heard others complain about it. From the first time I visited the restaurant, I've yet to find fault with the food. And I especially love their bread! Everytime I go there I just can't wait for the bread basket to hit my table. The onion roll is just so yummy. But anyways... back to the spaghetti and meatballs. The version they serve at TWR has foie gras in it, which is hidden in each little meatball. Delish! Unfortunately, funds are running somewhat low this month, after some mammoth spending in the last few weeks. So what's a girl to do when she can't exactly afford to go out and have dinner at TWR cos she's already spent way too much on shopping and her soon-to-be-acquired iPhone 3G? She makes some herself, that's what!My little meatballs. I've made some giant-ass ones before, but I find the little guys more appealing. Browning the little fellas and sealing in the juices!Simmering the sauce, just waiting to throw in the meatballs so they can cook in the tomatoey goodness.I'm good with sharing the love. Good ol' spaghetti & meatballs, for my boy's lunch tomorrow.

Homestyle Spaghetti & Meatballs
Ingredients:
For the meatballs:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried basil
1 egg, beaten
a splash of Worcestershire
a couple cloves of garlic, chopped
salt and black pepper

For the sauce:
2 tbsp olive oil
crushed red pepper flakes (use as much as you like, depending on how hot you want it)
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup beef stock
1 (28oz.) can crushed tomatoes
fresh basil, thinly sliced
fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:
1. To make the meatballs, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Form into meatballs of your preferred size, and then cover with cling wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use.
2. For the sauce, heat oil over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes, onion and garlic and saute for 5 to 7 minutes. Add beef stock, crushed tomatoes and herbs. Bring to a boil and then let simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Brown the meatballs in a little bit of olive oil. Add meatballs to the simmering sauce. Let the sauce cook down till you reach the desired thickness. (I like to let it simmer for quite a while so I get a thicker sauce)

No comments: