Thursday, July 31, 2008

Passionfruit Lovelies

I came across a recipe for passionfruit cupcakes, and I thought they'd be worth a try. I've always loved passionfruit-flavored/scented stuff, like passionfruit green tea bubble tea, passionfruit shower gel, passionfruit face wash... And then one day at my grandma's house, my uncle offered us some fresh passionfruit to bring home! Bonus: they were grown in the backyard! I never knew passionfruit could be grown here, I always thought they were some kind of exotic fruit that could only grow in temperate climate. Since that day, I've noticed passionfruit for sale at my local supermarket, so seeing as I'm much too lazy to grow my own, this is the next best thing.
My oh-so-pretty passionfruit!All ready to be baked...Hot from the oven!My passionfruit lovelies!

The only problem with this cake is that I used a cream cheese frosting for it, which turned out a bit soft with the addition of the passionfruit pulp. And with our levels of humidity and heat, anything with cream cheese has to be popped into the fridge straightaway. As a result, the cake came out a tad hard after the refrigeration. So maybe the next time I make this, I will use a standard buttercream instead, which saves me from having to plonk them in the fridge.

Passionfruit Cupcakes
Ingredients:
75g butter
½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
¼ cup passionfruit pulp (2 fruits)
1 cup plus 2 tbsp self-raising flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Stir in passionfruit pulp, and then fold in flour.
4. Fill cupcake papers about ½ full and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: