Thursday, July 24, 2008

Just Peachy


I was in the mood to bake this morning, but wasn't really sure what I felt like baking. Ever get this way? I had a brownie recipe that I wanted to try, but today didn't seem like the day for it. Just wasn't really in the mood for chocolate. I know... it must be the heat. And I didn't feel like making cupcakes either, for once. Eventually I stumbled upon a recipe for Blueberry Crumble Slice which looked so damn yummy I just had to try it. Unfortunately I had no blueberries whatsoever in the house, and I couldn't really be arsed to drive out to the supermarket to get some. A poke around the pantry later, I decided I would try the recipe, but with peaches instead. I think it's turned out quite well, I haven't given it the taste test yet as it's still cooling, but it looks pretty decent to me. It smelt pretty good too.

PS. I didn't manage to get a photo of my Peach Crumble Slice, which is poo. =( Hence the picture of the peaches I used. I know. Lame.

Peach Crumble Slice
Ingredients:
Cake:
6 tbsp butter
2 eggs
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
2 cups sliced peaches (I used canned peaches cos that's all I had)

Crumble:
3 tbsp butter
½ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Grease an 8' x 8' pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides to make for easy removal later.
3. Mix the crumble ingredients together till the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5. Cream butter, sugar, sour cream and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg one at a time, mixing well with each addition. Slowly add in flour and mix until well combined.
6. Spread batter evenly into baking pan, and cover the top with sliced peaches. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the peaches.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely in the pan.
8. Once cool, remove cake from pan and cut into squares.

No comments: