Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Devil's Advocate


I made these some time back, I don't even remember why, but I do remember I gave them to my mom to bring to an event she was attending. That was probably during the time when I was obsessed about hunting for the best chocolate cupcake recipe to end all chocolate cupcake recipes, and thus I made heaps of chocolate cupcakes. I've since realized that it is near impossible to find one cake that will please everyone, so what can you do. This recipe I used is for Devil's Food Chocolate Cupcakes, but I don't remember where I got the recipe from. What I do know is what you get is a delish chocolate cupcake that's not too sweet and that holds up well to a sweeter frosting, like the white chocolate one that I used.

Devil's Food Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1½ tsp baking soda
1½ cups milk
½ cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 176 degrees Celsius.
2. Measure out everything but the eggs into the mixer bowl. Mix on low speed until just incorporated.
3. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs, and beat on high again for 2 minutes.
5. Scoop batter into cupcake papers. Bake about 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly in pan then transfer to rack to cool completely.

White Chocolate Frosting
Ingredients:
4½ oz. white chocolate, finely chopped
1¾ cups icing sugar, sifted
¼ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla
6 tbsp butter
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Melt white chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
2. Stir milk and vanilla into sifted icing sugar. Add butter and salt and beat until smooth.
3. Stir in cooled white chocolate.
4. Refrigerate until firm enough to frost the cupcakes, about 30 minutes.

No comments: