Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Itsy Bitsy Blueberry Babies

I couldn't stop myself from buying yet more blueberries... in my defence they were still on sale so why not? Blueberries are just so yummy. Plus I'd seen this post with the most adorable little babycakes ever, and since I didn't wanna shell out big bucks for cherries, I thought I could make a blueberry version. I will get around to making that recipe I hope. Fingers crossed cherries go on sale at some point.

So. Inspired by those little cherry darlings, I knew I wanted to make mini babycakes, with blueberries. I ended up using a cupcake recipe I'd used before which has almond meal in it, and I thought it would go well with the blueberries. To keep things simple, I topped these li'l babes off with a simple lemon icing (just mix icing sugar and fresh lemon juice till you get the consistency you're after) and finished them off with yet more blueberries.
Hot naked babycakes, fresh from the oven!Adorable blueberry babycakes!

Blueberry Babycakes
Ingredients:
4 oz. butter, softened
4 oz. sugar
3 eggs
4 oz. ground almond meal
2 oz. self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla
fresh blueberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs alternately with almond meal and beat until smooth.
3. Gently fold in flour. Mix just until incorporated.
4. Line mini muffin tray with cupcake papers, and drop a small amount of batter into each. Place a single blueberry in the batter, and then top off with a bit more batter. Bake for about 15 minutes, until cupcakes are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

One last photo for posterity.

No comments: